Adam Tihany for The Pace Collection


In January of 2013, I finally removed my treasured, custom made mahogany and burl elm Chippendale dining table and its period chairs from my house. They are stored in my garage, as I'm not yet prepared to part with them. 

In its place I installed the Isadora dining table with Rebecca chairs from The Pace Collection, distinctly different in style and more suited in scale to the corner of the room that's allocated to dining.

The table is of gorgeous lacquered birds eye maple with space-age stainless steel accents on the base. Distinctively shaped “Rebecca” chairs are in an ebony finish. The Beatles encaustic painting is by Jeffrey Schaller, commissioned by my husband. The two vibrant abstract Big Island paintings on the right are by Gary Pezzoli.





Information about Adam Tihany's Isadora Collection isn’t easy to find online. On page 102 of Tihany Design, published in 1999, Adam Tihany says:

“My first collection for Pace was inspired by one of my favorite stylistic images: the SS Normandie luxury cruise ship of the 1930s. My Grand Lounge Collection consisted of club chairs, dining chairs, and tables. The centerpiece of the collection was the dining table in African crotched mahogany and brushed stainless steel. Each piece was expertly crafted of the finest materials with great attention to detail. I am proud that many of these pieces are still some of Pace's bestsellers and have been seen in the homes of some of America's top celebrities.”


The following two images are photographs of printed images from pages 102 and 104 of the book:



Illustrations of side views of the dining table.




Side table version, from the book.

The old Glendale Furniture site is my source for the names “Isadora” (table) and “Rebecca” (chairs). It is the only reference I've found using those names. Glendale's old site featured a different version of my table and chairs, as seen below:



In recent years, Adam Tihany has designed on a large scale for hotels and restaurants — and for the newest members of Seabourn’s luxury cruise ship fleet. He has partnered with noted chef Thomas Keller, and together they've produced a gorgeous coffee table book of their designs. I was able to buy a pristine copy signed by the authors. Score!


Comments

  1. I instigated the adaption of the design as an end table. Adam designed the Isadora Table as a double pedestal elliptical table at the outset. Customer demand created the single pedestal which Pace had Adam approve.
    I managed the Madison Avenue Pace showroom and a client wanted a precious end table and I showed them the dining table as a model for an end table. The Pace Design department worked out the proportions and the end table became a fixture in the showroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great story and information! I wish you were identified as more than "unknown" so that I could learn more from you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Putting Our Furniture from The Pace Collection to Work

The Pace Collection